What's a personal update from me this week?
Why am I publishing content there, you ask?
Because I tell folks trying to break into tech to build in public and establish their personal brands.
Then to realize that I haven't done it myself...
So I'm taking my own advice and starting now.
At a glance, we'll be covering:
- Why I have Redbull can tops and a shot glass on my desk
- Best career advice that fits in 1 tweet
- Hitting 70 Tech Resources and programs opened for applications!
Read Time: 3 minutes
1. So, am I drinking Redbull and vodka all day?
No, but great guess though.
I can't maintain my Balmer peak that long.
Redbull pull tabs and the shot glass are part of my productivity stack.
The missing piece of the puzzle is a timer.
I'm a big follower of the Pomodoro Technique, which helps you get things done by working for a period of time and taking a break, usually on a 25-minute work and 5-minute break schedule.
So now here is how this shot glass, tab, and Pomodoro system works:
1️⃣ Start a Pomodoro session which is 25 mins work and 5 mins break
2️⃣ Place a pull tab into the shot glass for each cycle completed
3️⃣ Repeat 1 & 2 until all can tops are in the shot glass
Simple? Yep, and it works wonders for me.
I tried numerous apps to track my productivity when working, but none seem as effective as placing each pull tab into a shot glass.
Plus, seeing the tabs scattered is a reminder throughout the day that I haven't been able to engage in deep work.
Find what works for you.
2. Earn, Learn, or Churn
I sometimes overthink how I should manage my career but having this in my mental model makes career decisions easier.
Who is Garry Tan? He is a venture capitalist, the current CEO of Y-Combinator, and a man on the Forbes Midas List from 2018-2022.
A person that I look up to and hope that I can make an impact similar to him one day.
If you got a spare 14 minutes, invest it and watch his video on this topic.
Got a better career advice tweet? Tag me in it on Twitter.
3. Tech Resource Updates
Well, the resource list has grown and is now at 71! I hope I can make it to 100.
New resources this week:
- Women in Games International (Community)
- AirBnB (Apprenticeship)
- Vets Who Code (Career Transition Program)
Cisco Apprenticeship Programs (EU)
- Sales Apprentice Program Location: Greater London - Bedfont Lakes, Feltham / Manchester
- Customer Experience Apprentice Program Location:Greater London - Bedfont Lakes, Feltham / Manchester
- Vets in Tech - Front End Web Dev Cohort - (March Cohort - Free for Veterans and Military Spouses Only)
- VetsinTech Python Fundamentals for Data Science - (March Cohort - Free for Veterans and Military Spouses Only
And as always the entire resource list is in for you to check out. Best List of Free Programs and Resources for Non-Traditional Tech Transitions